Friday, October 29, 2010

Measuring the positives


As I approach my business and marketing planning retreat for 2011, I am reminded to look back at where I’ve been with as much enthusiasm as I look forward. I have to admit that I am more likely to have enthusiasm for what lies ahead and criticism for what’s been left behind. For me, it’s easier to have hope about something yet to come than to see the successes-not-the-failures passed.

Today I’m doing a turn around. Today, I’m looking back on the positives of 2010 and how I’m going to apply them to the future.

I learned a lot from the columnists who share the pages of Biz2Biz digital magazine. I gained a better insight on my role as CFO and how each decision I make can be tracked to the bottom line. I learned how little things can make a difference and how valuable perspective can be. 

I gained skills as a leader of my business, my time, and my passion. I learned how to better organize each of these roles, which individually could occupy all of my energy if I let them. As many of you know, I’m a single mom, too, so family and the responsibilities of home, hearth and happiness have to join the plate in heaping big amounts.

I learned about new media, sales cycles, social media and small business champions. I was inspired by others who jump out of bed everyday to climb the Mt. Everest of entrepreneurship. I mentored those with aspirations to start the trek. I shared a cup of solace with those whose dreams were dashed, and cheered for those who found their mark. And all the while I edited, edited, edited.

It’s been a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment