Monday, August 2, 2010

Taking advice from Keith Hicks

As a solopreneur I'm always busy. I never finish all the job tasks on my plate for the day. Okay, I admit it, I rarely finish them all, ever. Something always gets shoved to the back burner to simmer until it evaporates or boils over.  There's some comfort that I am not alone in this.

Finding more time in my work week was a topic that caught my eye when the article came across my editor desk for the August issue of Biz2Biz NWA Digest.  The author was Keith Hicks, a local business coach, who writes an article each month on various business development topics.

This month's really hit home with me. Time. Finding more time. I don't want to spend more time. I don't want to hurry through my tasks. I don't want to skip or short circuit the time it takes to do a job right. So what is this concept of finding more time?

You'll have to read the article to get out of it what you will, but the tidbit that set my brain stirring was this concept of delegating.

I've always thought I was pretty good at delegating when I have someone to delegate to. I don't micro-manage, or restrict how someone comes to the desired end result. But when I read Keith's article I had one helluva ah ha! moment.

"Recognize everyone is not you," Keith Hicks wrote. "Don't get caught up in the 'only I can do this right' trap. If an employee can do it 80 percent as well as you, let that be sufficient. Let them do the work you hired them to do."

It dawned on me then that this is how companies of one become small businesses that grow into larger businesses. It dawned on me that this is the difference between being a person who works for herself and a business owner leading a product (or service) up the ladder of  success and profitability.

You may be laughing at me this very moment. Well, duh, you say. But if we're all taking a spoon of truth syrup, the reason we go into business for ourselves is so we can control our environment. So we can do it the way we want to. Because we believe only "I" can do it right.

And that's the trap. It takes a village.

Thanks, Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment